Wednesday, September 9, 2009

+let's string up everything that we've been afraid of we've been living under

Remember that ambiguous post I made on August 4th? Well, I can't be any more transparent than I was, but I can tell you that it is making great great great progress. In fact, I actually got back to my room Friday night, locked the door, and started jumping up and down because I am so thoroughly excited that it is making headway! Oh goodness! What a light heart! Still, much to be done, and still lots to keep accountable. Some days the thought of it all is draining, but the practice of it is the most energizing thing I have done. It truly pays to stop sitting on the sidelines and start addressing things that matter. No matter how many hoops you have to jump through.

That being said, I am understanding more this semester of the clash of idealism and the real, working world. I have my ideas and passions about a career in student affairs or residence life, but I realize that no matter how many degrees a person has, that does not always mean they are going to genuinely be interested in developing every student. In fact, I am sure no matter what field a person enters, their original reasons for entering it do not necessarily shine through every hour of every day. I know this in my head, but I don't know this in my heart just yet.

Conversation I had with my Dean of Students...

"Wait, you mean to tell me that people CHOOSE to work at a university and still view students as inferior, lowly people who are self-centered and lack potential?"
"Oh, of course, Heather."
"Wait... why would you choose to work here then?"
"You would think they would because of their deep commitment to students. But not everyone remembers that throughout their career. I think you're starting to understand the real world."
"Man. That stinks."

No comments: