Wednesday, January 12, 2011

+we've already met, but let's meet again

I lied about that blog post about my New Years Resolution.
I have a couple. And they aren't just that vague.

One of them is to always answer my phone, whenever it rings. I have gotten into this habit during college and after of "screening" my phone calls. Waiting until I get that voicemail or text message to hear what it is about and "if I want to deal with it." Of course, this is not true if it was a parent, or my boss, or one of my staff members, or Devon. But generally speaking, it was true.

I also was really bad about checking my voicemails. I had this idea that people could run on my time schedule if I could control my phone calls in the way.

Wrong.

So the last couple of years there has always been a bullet point on the resolutions list that says "Always listen to your voicemail." And in the past couple of years? I have not been really that good about it. So this year, I thought... how about make a resolution to always answer the phone? Novel. I know. So I have been doing this... even if I cannot talk, I'll answer and say why I cannot talk. Then there really is not a voicemail. And when there is a voicemail, I can call that person back and say why I really did not answer... not some fib about why I decided to screen their phone call like a control freak.

So as weird as that may sound, one of my top resolutions for the year is to answer my phone. All the time. Not when it's convenient and not when I feel like controlling the world. As if that is even possible. Cheers!

No comments: