Monday, January 16, 2012

+memory cravings

I get food cravings all the time - this week, it was hot apple pie, perhaps a la mode. Some nights I crave kidney beans, orange slices or McDonald's ice cream. It's always different and I have no clue where they come from. However, I was thinking about these cravings and I realized they don't just happen in regards to food for me. Instead, my brain will flash before me a memory, just a moment in time that I crave to happen all over again. I can remember everything about the moment. They are not big life events like graduating or moving or anything of that nature, they are every-day-ish moments. I figured I would share a couple.

1. I blogged last November about visiting New York and the Tsays with Devon. While there we did many of the touristy things - we saw Wall Street, the Statue of Liberty, Central Park, rode the subways, etc. But the memory that keeps coming up for me from the trip? The last day Devon and I were in town and went out exploring by ourselves. We explored around Rockefellar Plaza again and stumbled on some of the shopping area - it was busy and we did not have any distinct plan, but I somehow conned Devon into going into the American Girl store. American Girls dolls were a big part of my childhood, and it was so crazy to be at the hub of it all. I got to look around and enjoy while constantly being paranoid that Devon was spending his time in a doll shop. He was so loving about it all and smiling so big and happy that I was getting to be a place that held so many memories for me. It was sweet. And that moment keeps replaying in my head. I told you, nothing really that substantial, but that image keeps flashing to the forefront.

2. Another memory that keeps coming back to me is June of the Summer between my Junior and Senior year of college. I had just gotten a new travel mug from a mentor of mine - a really cool mug with writing on it. I decided to wake up before my desk shift and go to Bongo Java for iced coffee and a breakfast sandwich. Instead of staying at the coffee shop, I took my morning fare to the amphitheater at Belmont University. I sat in front of the Bell Tower eating my favorite foods and just soaking in the sun of a Nashville Summer. I had just finished my Senior thesis and I was staring at just one more semester until graduating college. It was a beautiful moment - I journaled, and closed my eyes, and enjoyed the morning.

3. And, while there are MANY more of these little glimpses that pop into my mind, the final one I'll share here is one of just about one year ago this week. I had gotten back to the state of Kansas after the Winter holidays and snow was all over the ground. I was terrified to drive and it was just so bitter cold. My friend Brianna came over to talk and we decided we wanted to go to Free State (restaurant) downtown (about 2 miles away, tops). We looked at each other and shrugged and proceeded to bundle up - scarf, mittens, hats, boots, you name it, we wore it. We then ran...not walked...down the restaurant. We laughed and screamed and made fools of ourselves all in the name of not wanting to drive, but still wanting to be out and about on Mass Street. I remember waking up the next morning with sore abs because we had laughed so hard at ourselves that night.

I'll try to keep up with the memory cravings (or whatever I should call them) as they come. It's important to remember the little things, and maybe that is what my mind is telling me.

As for the food cravings... yeah, I still can't really explain those!

No comments: