It happened again - this Marathon-bug thing is definitely contagious. The
Chicago Marathon was such a good race to run. If I could do it all over again, I absolutely would. My training began back on June 4th - the first week of working Orientation back in Nashville. So much of my training runs parallels my adjustment time of moving and working and adjusting to a new life here. Then, the culminating race which included a brand new adventure to a city I have never been in before. It's been a great 4-5 months commitment and I serioulsy am looking forward to another one. I know it's early to say that, but this race was different than
the first marathon I ran. No, I didn't take any of those lessons less seriously, but this time around, I ate better, I trained smarter, and I didn't get injured at all. I put on a few pounds because I needed some more muscle. That's a mental hurdle in and of itself.
I will never get over how much I need people in my life. Never ever ever. Running can be such a loner's sport, but that doesn't mean that it's lonely. Most of my training was done by my lonesome (out of choice, too). But I did get to dabble with the East Nasty Running Group runs this Summer and it was a highlight of training to run into Jordan (during her half-marathon training). It was great to run some miles with Kelsey during her visit and it was just nice to have people like Sarah, Devon, Kelsey, Greta, and so on who always knew I was in the midst of training and were sweet to plan around it or ask about it. This time around training was a lot lower key. More miles, actually, but a lot less need to talk about them. In fact, I think I may surprise people from time to time when I say I run, because I just don't talk about it as much. It's just sewn into the fabric of my everyday, and I love it.
Below is a pictoral storybook of Chicago-land with Devon, our friend James, and the Holladays! After figuring out all of the logistics for such an epic run, I think it's time to set my sights back on Nashville and run a local race...
we'll see.
 |
| Night before marathon carbo-loading-deliciousness. |
 |
| Dawn on race day in Grant Park |
 |
| The Holladays with their amazing signs. |
 |
| The Devon getting to see me run for the 1st time! |
 |
| The view from Mile 1 |
 |
| Saying Hi at Mile 14(ish?) and on my way! |
 |
| Happy and carefree at Mile 18ish |
 |
| The view in Chinatown, Mile 21ish |
 |
| Best. Spectators. Ever. |
 |
| The last 100 M. |
 |
| There's the finish! |
 |
| And the swag. |
 |
| So cold, but so happy! |
 |
| Beth bundling me up in her coat and the space blanket. |
 |
| What a crazy way to run a marathon and to see Chicago! |
 |
| Next morning began with THIS! |
 |
| Lincoln Park exploring |
 |
| Devon and I with our kind Host for the weekend. With a place to stay, maps, and Chicago-knowledege he may have saved the day a million times! |
 |
| I loved all the local signs cheering on runners. |
 |
| The Bean |
 |
| Devon sliding down a sculpture? |
 |
| Holladays! |
 |
| Sisters! |
 |
| Friendly graffiti. |
 |
| More fun with the Bean |
 |
| and more! |
 |
| It looks like a spaceship to me. |
 |
| Trying Garrett's Popcorn |
 |
| Just happy to be adventuring. |
 |
| Meet up with grad school friends at Hopleaf! |
No comments:
Post a Comment