"Can you believe that ___ days ago..." has been the over-repeated phrase all weekend long. Last Thursday evening Devon and I headed for the great state of Kansas with a stop at a friend's house to sleep in St. Louis. We managed to get up and drive away from the sunrise on our was to Lawrence, KS, and arrive just before my day of meetings and campus tours began on Friday at the University of Kansas.
What a weekend! I was given a lovely on-campus apartment to stay in complete with linens, kitchen, two bedrooms, and lovely hardwood floors. My meetings went well - I learned so much about the university in just a morning and afternoon's time. There are so many aspects of the university that appeal to me especially how hilly the campus is (no joke, I really like it).
After all of our Friday festivities, we decided to drive back an hour to Kansas City, MO for a barbeque dinner and the Get Up Kids concert. As we drove we said "Can you believe that yesterday we were still in Nashville in classes?" and "Can you believe that this morning we were driving into Lawrence?" or "Can you believe that in 5 days we'll be home for Thanksgiving?" Kansas City was awesome and the small concert was such a neat experience.
Saturday morning I took a long walk down to the Farmer's Market and despite how small it was I really enjoyed hearing about what the farms are like in the Lawrence area and what kind of people live in town. After obtaining some pears and homemade bread it was time to go to a big Mass. Street breakfast at Milton's. We went with Oliver Hughes, who used to go to Belmont and was/is one of Devon's good friends. I am still craving some granola or french toast or the endless amount of coffee we had.
Saturday was lazy (as needed) and exploring everything really was fascinating. There is something to be said for actually visiting a place you may or may not be for the next couple of years of life. Questions like "where would I fit in?", "what would I be interested in?", "what would I be involved in?", and "what would my life look like here?" were constantly floating around in my head.
So much thinking. After a 10 hour drive back to Nashville yesterday, I'm still saying "Can you believe that 4 days ago we had not experienced any of this?" and "Can you believe that in 2 days I'll be on the road to Lousiville?"
Where does the time go? Am I ready? What are the criteria of making my decision? Why do I have more and more questions the older I get?
1 comment:
Good story. :) And great blog length! I finished reading just as the song ended. haha. I'm glad you have questions. It means you won't settle. Love you.
Post a Comment