Four months into knowing Lawrence, KS and today may be the first where I sat down and called it home. Learning cities takes time, but that time seems so worth it. Feeling at home is so worth it.
"The" bridge that takes us away.
The spot my car parks at the lake.
Knowing the majority of coffee shops in town and which one I prefer.
Knowing the culture and knowing how people will respond.
Knowing the local library.
Voting in Douglas County.
Making breakfast for the homeless.
Knowing where the pot holes are...and where to swerve around them.
Knowing which roads are one-ways.
Being able to identify streets with landmarks like "that yellow house" or "the apartments with the rickety stairs"
Finding a church where the sermons stick with me all week.
Having a partner in crime, who knows how I take my coffee.
Discovering old stores like they are ancient treasures.
Signing up for things I never would before.
Having a Kansas license.
Feeling comfort in staying put.
"Chariots, if you're out there, please swing low / tell me I got here at the right time / If I did it's probably the first time / No second guesses or secret signs / Just tell me I got here at the right time." -Josh Ritter


2 comments:
sounds comfortable :)
tpayne! tpayneSoonToBeKelley you still read this old thing!? awww i miss you.
Post a Comment