"A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation" -Mark Twain
If you know me, you know I love seasons. Yes, ones in nature, but really just seasons of life, seasons of the year, seasons of relationships. So working at a University directly with students fits me well - ahhh the season of an academic year. It's that time of year where students are getting sick, discouraged, and unmotivated. They are wishing more than all else to call it quits, to go home for Thanksgiving next week and never come back. Being a student myself, I totally understand. I miss the season of the start of school when a fresh set of pens, crisp notebooks, and new friends just as much as the next student.
But I think more than anything, I am learning what Mr. Mark Twain said above... we learn another person's character by the way they speak about their circumstances. If someone sees only the negatives about the work to be done, the push to the end, you learn an insight into their character. Whereas the person who pushes back and sees the privilege and opportunity afforded in even being able to study at a university begins to talk with hope and promise and excitement of the last bit of work. But isn't the big picture the hardest to see? Lesson for me, too.
No comments:
Post a Comment