Sunday, November 27, 2011

+divide the race into thirds: run the first part with your head, the middle part with your personality, and the last part with your heart -fanelli

"In the long run, we only hit what we aim at." -Thoreau

I was going to write an extensive post (another one) about after-the-marathon recovery. But I realized how much of a broken record I sound like. I also feel like there is so much more to my life that my running life. (For an update, it's 7 days later, I'm not sore, I'm not depressed or sad, and I have a couple half-marathons and marathons in my sights in 2012).

I just spent my Thanksgiving break with the Neisen family in good 'ole southern Indiana. It may have been the first time I have slowed down. Even New York was fast-paced (which I loved), but this was the first time to have nothing planned, put the feet up, eat too much food, and sleep. It is so hard to get me and my personality to sit still like that. Poor Devon had to put up with my restlessness and need to go go go, but he is a trooper, like always. I got to eat homemade cranberry sauce (instead of the jelly!) and ate the best stuffing I have ever eaten as well as more pumpkin pie than should be legal (with homemade whipped cream!?). We saw the Muppet Movie and went black Friday shopping! Devon and I went on many walks, and on one of them we picked up a stray kitten. Devon and I named him "little brah-tah" and he just wouldn't leave. We finally decided to feed him a thanksgiving feast and take him to the animal shelter. What a cute kitty.



After a dark, rainy, long drive back to Lawrence, I am now staring the 3 most dreaded weeks of the year in the face: the final weeks of the semester and all the insanity that it brings for a graduate student and employee at a university. I would imagine this gal/blog shall be quite silent as I rely on coffee, sleep, running, and friends to keep me sane.

My plan for winter break is to gather a small stack of classic literature, clean out my water bottle, buy the tastiest coffee beans around, bring a blanket, some comfy clothes, see the people I love, and travel. It cannot come soon enough.

No comments: