Saturday, May 17, 2008

+with faith like a child

what in the world? how come God is so ridiculously evident to me lately? i love it so much! so much closeness.

Jan was the staff person in my office this semester that essentially was my supervisor. Jan was a blessing to me all semester as we related personal things to one another. Most of it was over a good cookie she had baked. Jan is a baker. She loves it. She’s good at it. And I’ve enjoyed it all semester long. Bakery goods and music. That’s what Jan and I have in common. I cannot forget friday afternoons of nickel creek and van morrison mixed in with some jackson browne and whatever else we felt like throwing on. We got so much more work done on those days. Cookies and music. Who would ever have guessed it?

Yesterday I started my new job at Belmont and Jan called. I was worried. I was supposed to no longer work for the state, so why are they calling? Jan called to say that someone had sent me flowers and wanted to know where they could take them. I told them my new address and they promptly brought the flowers right to my hands. Along with a bag of Jan’s home-baked cookies. Wow.

The card I received simply said “thank you for all your hard work. out with the old and in with the new.” And it included a phone number and website. I was so confused. Who was this from? I called my parents, my closest friends, and just waited for someone to say something to me about the gift. But no one did. As I was going to bed last night i told taylor that maybe it would just remain a mystery—a sweet, kind, thoughtful mystery.

So I got this comment on my last post. From a girl named Allie. Oh God, what a blessing. I can’t get over it. How would she know that exactly what I needed? A little floral arrangement that matches perfectly with everything I have? Or just a word of encouragement in a time when I needed it despereately? Or the fact that Jan was a baker and that I continue to be blessed by a sweet girl at a bakery? Or that I’m sitting in Panera right now as I write this? Theme of my life it seems. God, what are you telling me? Showing me? Directing me towards?

Dependency. A lesson I have learned. To depend on God. To depend on friends. Family. I cannot do this life alone. So thank you, sweet allie. Everyone needs to go to bakersbreadbasket.com and look at this wonderful business she has going.

In more ways than just this, God is real. God is in my conversatons with my best friends lately. He is in all my inbetween time and He is currently the center – a place I do not allow him to be very often. As sad as that is.

It’s the dawn of Summer. And I cannot wait to see what is going to happen. I am grabbing God’s hand and not letting go. I know the only place he can lead me is into a deeper understanding of himself and his world, and who doesn’t want that?

What a masterfully orchestrated semester. Each section was right on cue. And while at times it sounded like discord, the final work has been a masterpiece.

No comments: