Maundy means "to give," "to entrust," or "to order."
Most of the time, we translate it "to give a command."
Thursday is when the Last Supper is remembered.
Normally people do communion remember Jesus' final supper with his disciples.
Which is why during Holy Week it's called Maundy Thursday.
Jesus gave his final command to his disciples at that dinner.
Jesus washed the disciples feet.
He then said, "A new commandment I give to you - that you love one another - even as I have loved you - you also ought to love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another" (John 13:34-5)
Leave it to Jesus to humbly love and to humbly challenge in the same breath.
So today, I've been greatful.
But scared out of my mind.
Tonight is the night to mark Jesus' time in Gethsemane.
The time when those he most invested into fell asleep on him.
Ah, Betrayal.
Lord, get me through tonight because tomorrow is even worse.
No comments:
Post a Comment