Friday, April 20, 2012

+explaining that I'm just visiting

Tonight, as my tweet alluded to, was a night to remember. In my work in housing and student life so far, there are a couple of key moments that stand out as "epic." Last year's winning moment was a male staff member's goodbye on his graduation day and the heartfelt thank you card he gave me. I sat in my office for an hour and cried. Embarrassing, sure, but my first year of grad school was long- the start of a distance relationship, starting my entire life over in a new state, learning and being pushed to my limits. That thank you meant more to me than he realized.

The moment tonight tugged my heart strings much the same. This week the stress was comps and family and just feeling the distance from the fiancé. My day was long, full of tough conversations with students in hard places academically and emotionally. I got down to dinner around 7pm and one of my women was just getting home from work. She and I go to church together, so we talked about life. She asked all the right questions, "How is your family? How is Devon? How are you holding up?" and then she said to me, "Can I just pray for you?" and the tears started. The most meaningful words said to our mutual heavenly Father. What. A. Moment.

And so the world is now in perspective. The opportunities are so exciting. And between her prayer and Devon's prayers and the thoughts and prayers of so many, I am feeling blessed and cared for and like I need to give the whole world a hug!

No comments: