Wednesday, April 25, 2012

+ode to my favorite pair of running shoes

Well, I knew this day would come at some point, but it's time to retire my favorite pair of running shoes. Since July 2011 I have purchased 5 pairs of running shoes. Sick, right? Except for the fact that each pair of shoes only gets about 300-400 miles on 'em. When you consider the sort of mileage needed for my training, that means shoes don't last as long as you think they should. All my shoes are Brooks (shoe snob?) And all came from a quaint little running shop in downtown Lawrence. Like you have a favorite pair of jeans, I have a favorite pair of shoes. I use them only for days I feel really good and then for every race (as a bit of luck). This post is my honorary they-need-to-be-retired-already post. Goodbye wonderful Green Silences, I will miss you!

 These are the Brooks Green Silences. They are lightweight, look cool, and have seen me through so many miles. This picture is from my first 18 mile run back in the Fall. 

 
They also were on my feet when I placed 3rd in a 5K. This pic is with my graduate school cohort who ran the 5K with me. I think it was the first time I actually placed in a race!

They not only carried me through July to November of training, but they were the pair that I laced up for race day - 26.2 miles and faithful as ever.


And this past Sunday was the day they were retired. I rotated them in and out of my training runs all spring for a half-marathon, and I knew they were already needing replacing. But, the nostalgia was too much... I still had to wear them. My knees are a bit achy from wearing slightly worn out shoes, but it was worth it.

But! Thanks to a great find from Greta, a new pair is now in my possession! Here's to Chicago and to my 2nd pair of the most amazing shoe ever made!

No comments: