Wednesday, April 23, 2008

+find me a rock, i need to hide behind it

"Heather, I noticed you do some of the things I do when people ask me questions about myself which is mostly down play what I have accomplished. I really have a hard time talking about myself and you seem to be the same in that respect. I can tell you are more accomplished than you let on." -assistant chapter advisor for AST

"It speaks to your character that you would stop for a moment to encourage me. Your words have refreshed my spirit" -assistant dean of students

"I know you like to share credit with me for all the great accomplishments in your life, but I know better. My job has always been to give you all the soil, water and sun you need to grow in to the incredible person you are." -dad

"I was telling Daddy that you should work for Hallmark cards. You're wonderful at writing notes." -mom

"Why don't you understand how great you are? If I could pinch your cheeks right now, I would. Would you kindly pinch your own cheeks for me?" -my reslife boss

-----------
what amazingly kind words.... but really? all of these comments i got today.
trend? hey God you tryin' to tell me something??
i have a serious confidence issue i think.
even posting this makes me nervous -- like someone will think i'm pretentious for putting up compliments about myself....

i thought i was doing better at this, but obviously i'm not if people keep noticing it.
what REAL accomplishments has a 20 year old done??
i haven't lived long and i certainly haven't saved a life.
but i do stand taller these days, i walk prouder,
and i know that i'm doing things that are benefitting others.

yet i have never received evidence to suggest that bragging about these things is a good idea. on the contrary, the people i know in my life who constantly tout their resume to me want to make me run as far away as possible from them. humble leaders attract me, so that's what i strive to be. i love to give encouragement, but rarely receive it, so when i do receive it i feel like people are just being polite and that they don't really mean it. this is so contrary to my nature, but something somewhere has conditioned me to think this way.

i would rather be your best friend who also happens to be highly accomplished than to be highly accomplished and just happen to be your best friend.

i don't care if it serves as a disadvantage. then again, it's rough because Jesus didn't downplay the fact that he was THE son of God. he just kept saying it. i bet people got mad/annoyed. but it was something important and if he downplayed it he would arguably be increasingly ineffective. so what is important enough in my life that i'd like to proclaim it? the only thing i can think of that is actually worth it is knowing Christ.

but then, how do you, in a business interview say "yes look at me look at me" when my life's intent is to make it NOT about me. my biggest accomplishments look like relationships in my mind. but that doesn't translate into the real world without some raised eyebrows. does anyone know how to fix this dilemma?

No comments: