I know that I will be graduating from Belmont with a Political Science degree, but up until this Summer I had no concept of initiating or creating change. In fact, I've always left courses feeling a little beat up and thinking that my voice was small and insignificant. I am encouraged by stories of people who stand up for what they believe in, but always find them a little idealistic. I have floated through undergrad assuming that tolerating one another's ideas is the best way to go - because then we won't get into arguments or hate each other later.
I am so energized by conversations I have had lately. I know dozens of people who have a heart for change and for accountability in organizations. I have heard grievances, worries, genuine concerns. I have really listened instead of excusing those circumstances as "venting sessions." No! People say these things for a reason. AND, if they have taken the time to look at the situation from different perspective and are still coming back to the fundamental injustice, shouldn't these instances call for action?
I think so. I am currently underway with a project that gets me more fired up every time I sit down to research it. I know, I know, "Heather, you're being vague!" And this I realize. I just needed to excitedly tell someone and my blog is, after all, my little place to write.
More to come. Just know that I am finally realizing I have a voice. I'm willing to do the research. And I'm understanding that there is a way to get heard.
2 comments:
i'm interested to see what issue it is you are so excited about.
YAY! I love this! And You! Cannot wait to see you and see the excitement on your face instead of reading it in your words! I'm excited that you're so passionate about this thing--whatever it is!
Post a Comment